Music Monday

Music Monday

Maaaan…today was a doozy…and not just because it’s Monday. (Well, that too.) I swear, there has got to be a nymph out there personally delivering messages to everyone I know to nag me on Mondays. But of course, I’m Von, and that means…I ignore 85% of them and make the remaining 15% wait. 😉

In between the nagging and working, I’ve been spending some quality time with my thoughts while listening to some Ellie Goulding.

The raspiness of her voice is so raw yet authentic…and I love it! No writing got done today, but just listening to her kept my mind motivated into conceiving new ideas for my current MS. I decided to edit/scrap/BURN 🙂 an entire chapter. The MS flowed seamlessly once I removed the chapter. It delved into a part of Carmen’s life that adds no support to her or any events I plan to include. It was just fluff about people in her life who aren’t primary. When I highlighted the 13 pages of text and hit CTRL + X, pasting it into a blank file, I just knew that my word count was going to feel the pain of losing hundreds of words. But once I read from the end of Chapter 1 and into the first line of Chapter 3 (now Chapter 2), I smiled. It made sense. It didn’t slow down. I wanted to keep reading.

Sometimes, to be a writer means to sacrifice, whether it’s your time or your beloved written words. Don’t be afraid to lose anything that’s weighing you or your MS down. I needed a clear mind to see that and a little bit of music to find the nerve to do it. “Where good words were written once, greater words will replace them later” is what I told myself, and now, I’m sharing that with you. 🙂 If you can’t find the nerve to slash, then let music be your hype man and let’s get it!

 

blogsiggy

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Music Monday

  1. Oh man, I know that feeling. I like to cut and paste deleted things into a separate file too! I call mine “the graveyard” hehe.

    Pasting it into another file as opposed to outright deleting it always makes me feel better about taking something out.

    During a Master Class symposium, Toni Morrison mentioned her time working as an editor, and she said something to the effect of “If the author really loved something, I knew it had to be deleted.”

    Oh, Toni…Truer words have never been spoken!

    • Ah…truth.com! And not only is pasting into a new file instead of deleting a good compromise (nice way to put it btw), but it’s there in case I want to use any wording, scenes, or ideas later in the novel. As a whole, the chapter didn’t work, but certain parts could definitely be salvageable.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s